Crank by Ellen Hopkins shows readers the dangers, horrors, good and the bads in life.
This book deals with rape, drugs, young pregnancy, daddy issues and more, It has really opened my eyes and showed me what could happen to a foolish teenager, This foolish teenager is named Kristina, but sometimes she calls her self Bree, because of the monster.
There are two sides of Kristina, the good side and the bad side, but first let me tell you about herself. Kristina is a girl who did well in school, listened to her parents, and did what she was suppose to do. Before she was taken over by the monster, who created Bree. For example, "Flirt with total aplomb, and not only that, but look good doing it. Before Bree i never knew such sheer, depraved forwardness could be so fun. So i went with it, jumped right into the role of shameless flirt." Now let me tell you about her other side, Bree. She's fearful and doesn't care what people think, shes brave and demanding, For example, "Bree open doors Kristina wouldn't dare knock on, like that cute lifeguards, not to mention Adam, But Bree insists on having things all her way. So when Trent and Sarah came trunking up, bickering and tittering and doing all those little cutesy friend-type things, Kristina never minded, Bree wanted to tell them to shut the hell up, go away, let her play." Those are the two different sides of Kristina.
Kristina has also had daddy issues he was a drug addict and his wife didn't want her children being around him. "Dads vicious slurred epithets came through too loud and too clear. But it is Moms low, level threats I best remember. You do not deserve these children and when i'm through with you in court you'll be lucky to get visitation. I didn't understand the terminology of words like infidelity. Nor the implications of my fathers sundry addictions. I only knew my wicked mother took us far away, kept us far apart." Until today when Kristina has finally seen her father is 8 years. "Daddy?
- I can't believe how much you've grown!
Its been eight years dad. From daddy to dad in thirty seconds. We were strangers after all." This was very difficult for her, she really just wanted her dad to be there for her.
Kristina/Bree were between many guys, Adam the first guy she met already had a girlfriend, but she and he both fell in love, For example, "He wanted me. He needed me. He needed more to go to her, let her know he loved her still, I wanted him. I needed him. I wanted him to forget her, needed more to let him tell her he loved her." Adam then calls her to tell her, they should start seeing other people, and that's when Chase and Brendan come into the story. Chase treated Kristina right even though he wasn't her type. For example, "Hey, you're shaking. You're not scared, are you? We don't have to do this, do anything at all. We can just sit and talk if you want." On the other hand Brendan was handsome, funny, seems like a nice boy, but he's not. "My shirt tore open.
'Wait'
I've waiting for weeks. put up and shut up. Kisses segued to bites. Bruises. Pain rippled through my body.
'Brendan please stop.'
No you promised you damn little tease. Off came my shorts. Down went his zipper. I realized i was in serious trouble,
'I'll scream'" This shows the relationship between each and everyone of her boyfriends.
In conclusion this book is very graphic, but it teaches me a lesson. It shows the readers what you should and shouldn't do in life. Life will always be hard in some parts, but you have to push through them and get to the good days.
No comments:
Post a Comment